Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Donnie's 18 month check up.....and what a kid, let me tell ya!!

Well, it went pretty good...no shots this time, YEAH!! Just a physical and blah, blah, blah, from Dr. Tim. Donnie is doing great he weighed in at a whopping 19 lbs. and he's 32 inches long, he was also doing a little flirting with the new physician in the practice Dr. Williams - she was shadowing Dr. Tim for the day (which by the way, she seemed great...if any of you cared to know).

First, he goes through the whole...."He's very healthy, just not a Sumo Wrestler...Ha! Ha!" He says that everytime!!....I guess he must forget. Then onto the eating nutritionally, fine motor skills - holding silverware, scribbling w/crayons, talking & how many words he knows (which isn't a lot by the way & only I know what the heck he's saying), blah...blah..blah...the rest of the Dr. mumbo jumbo. And then, he gets to the temper tantrum speech and just as he's going into this Donnie decides to get his Gerber Graham Cracker Cookies out of his diaper bag......& OH BOY!!! here we go..... Donnie brings me the bag, mind you I'm trying to listen about all the RIGHT tips Dr. Tim has for me about dealing with tantrums and the best ways to discipline when your child is having a fit. So, I gently say, "Donnie after Dr. Tim looks at you, I'll give you a cookie".... (because I do keep them in the diaper bag for him to snack on)....Well, that wasn't gonna cut it! This is about the time Donnie gets fed up with mommy not paying attention to him and decides to THROW the bag of cookies at me, WHAM!! they hit me in the boobs & fall on the ground, at this point Donnie is whining/crying -actually a combination of the two (my personal fav.!!), so, I'm trying to ignore him because I'm so embarrassed that my kid is acting this way in the Dr.'s office..... he then picks up the bag and tries to rip the bag open with his teeth.....as if he's an ANIMAL or something, he's going into this all out rage (or, should I say TANTRUM)!! So, I say in a kind-of a laughing manner (because I felt like an idiot & was trying to act calm)...."Well, he hasn't had his afternoon nap yet, I think he's must be ready! Ha! Ha!" Ughhhh......THANKS Donnie, how embarrassing! All the while I'm saying this Dr. Tim is giving me those eyes saying, "Come on Mom let's see how you deal with it".....I felt like I was doing a "real life" scenario test in the Dr.'s office to see if I was able to get my Mommy's License or something!

Finally, after Donnie was on the table things calmed done, Donnie composed himself (after Dr. Tim just went & picked him up), I started to babble about our vacation plans to Dr. Williams and all was good in the office again. Ahhhhh....a sigh of relief! And I'm sure things weren't as bad as they seemed, but you know when people are watching and you just don't feel like you're going to do the right thing.....when ALL eyes are on you - especially your Pediatrician's?? I'm just glad were home.....

2 comments:

MacKenzie Leigh said...

Aww Katie, I feel for you. That happens to me every stinkin' time Jocelyn has an appointment. BTW, she went today, and as I'm saying how she behaves so well, never cries much, etc...she starts bawling. To the point of gagging...egh...I wanted to crawl under the table and hide. haha. Then she wouldn't stand up because she was upset or scoot or roll over...I looked like an idiot. If Dr. Williams starts to practice soon, let me know where because I'm looking for a new pediatrician who doesn't talk to me like I'm 5. Hahaha Have a good day!!

MacKenzie Leigh said...

Where does Dr. Tim practice? So I can call and ask if Dr. Williams will accept patients other than newborns.