Thursday, July 19, 2007

On my mind.....

That would be the subject of work, my teaching position, which technically I'm not teaching at the moment since I'm on summer break and I'm also laid-off......which amazingly, doesn't concern me that much - being laid off that is. All of the teachers in their first few (2) years of teaching in JPS are laid-off and the majority of the time their all called back before the school year starts up in the Fall. But....this year things are a little different than the last few....they just recently closed done one of our Elementary buildings, which leaves ALL of those teachers having to be placed at other schools in the district, which ultimately affects me being placed in a building.

Then, I'm worried about what building I'll be placed at.....see initially my first option is to job-share a second grade position at the building I was at last year, but it will not be finalized until I'm called back & our NEW Principal okays it. I'm also not guaranteed he will okay it, or that the school board has okayed it (you've gotta love politics!!). So, if I'm not at Bennett School, where will I be??? = YIKES! I'll just say there are a few schools which would not be my first choice to be a teacher. I'm just a little nervous, because when you enjoy a school so much, you feel like part of a good team, you enjoy your students, you get along with your principal, & you have made good friends there.....it's just really hard to start over from scratch with a new school ..... (I know that some of you out there know exactly what I'm talking about)!!

Then, and finally, the thing that worry me most of all......if I have to work full-time next year, what will I do with Donnie?? Last year I was helped out by family, which was a blessing, but things are a little different this year and we are going to need some outside help IF I HAVE to work full-time. I know that I can find a good, loving daycare provider if I have too, but it's not my first choice.

As, you may be able to tell, I'm just a little bit concerned with the coming Fall. And I'm such a creature of habit....I like things the same, things that I'm comfortable with.....that may be a downfall sometimes, but that's just who I am and I'm happy with who I am.

**And yes, I am very grateful that I even have a job in the horrible economic state Michigan is in right now.
** And yes, I know that change is good and it's good to challenge yourself with new experiences.....even when you don't really want too.
**And of course, ALL children need to be educated and deserve a 100% from their teachers no matter what their school environment is like.....these are all the things I tell myself to keep things in perspective....but, it's just on my mind.....

Ughhhhhhh....Life is such a balancing act, and priorities are completely different when you have a child and become a parent.

1 comment:

heather said...

This sounds like a "Thoughtful Thursday" for you Katie! Are you going to join in our little game? HAHA!

I hope things turn out the way you want this fall. I know you'll end up exactly where you're supposed to be. Good luck and enjoy the rest of your summer at home!